Read before following any of these instructions listed here: If your SmartBOL support contract has expired, follow these instructions at your own risk. SmartBOL Support does not provide any support without an active support contract. Please refer to support policies at www.smartbol.com/support.htm for support policies.
Bill of Lading from QuickBooks Sales Order or Invoice or Purchase Order
Overview: SmartBOL interfaces with QuickBooks to import sales order / purchase order / invoice / Sales Receipt / Estimate record and creates bill of lading record. This record can be further modified to fill any missing shipment information.
Procedure: Requires SmartBOL Classic and QuickBooks Version Pro 2002 or better.
- When importing for the first time, QuickBooks must be running in background. If QuickBooks is in multi-user mode, an administrator must be logged in QuickBooks.
- From the Quick Menu (on left side) select Import
- Run QuickBooks in background. (This is a required step when SmartBOL is importing records for the first time).
- Select Single or Multi User mode. For multi user mode, you will need administrator privileges to use this feature for the first time.
- Enter/ select from the drop down list Sales Order or Purchase Order or Invoice or Sales receipt or Estimate Number/s separated by commas. You can also enter a range separate by Hyphen (-).
Note: If your records contain Hyphen, only one record can be imported at a time.
- Select Create One Bill for: All Records to create One Bill for all records (Ship to Address from the first record will be used as Consignee or ShipTo address for all bills), select Each Record if you like to create one BOL each for each record, select Each Consignee if you like to create one BOL each for same consignee
- Select a Shipper from drop down menu. If you have not already done so, please add one or more shipper profiles using Menu à Masters à Shippers. This is strongly recommended if you are using VICS format as the UCC code from shipper profile will be used to generate the 17 digit BOL number.
- All other fields are optional.
- Check Boxes;
- Do not Import Line Items: Check this box if you would like to import only the address information and not the product lines.
- Use Product Description from SmartBOL Products Database: Check this box if you would like to use Product Description from SmartBOL Database instead of that of QuickBooks.
Use Shipping Category Information: Check this box to use the Product Category instead of Product Description from SmartBOL Database.
- Copy Group Sub Items: Select this box to copy group sub items from QuickBooks otherwise only the group header is copied.
- Copy Quantity into Handling Units Instead of Packages: Check this box to copy Quantity from QuickBooks record into handling units instead of packages.
Do not convert Packages to Handling Units: If this box is unchecked, handling units will be calculated using the handling unit conversion ratio from that product’s profile (Menu à Masters à Products), if found, and Package Count.
- Do not combine line items from records: Check this box if you do not want to combine line items when importing.
- Copy Special Services from Defaults: Check this box if you want to copy special services from Bill of lading Default screen.
- Copy Freight Counted, Trailer loaded from Defaults: Check this box if you want to copy freight counted and trailer loaded from Bill of lading Default screen.
- BOL Format: Select BOL format to open the BOL in the selected format.
Import Bill of Lading. WARNING: Please note that all weight, units and/ or package
conversions are approximate. Please verify before making shipment.
11. Following screen may show when you try for the first time. In multi-user mode, QuickBooks must be running in the background and an administrator must be logged in.
12. Click on Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running. You will see the following access confirmation screen.
SmartBOL will now import the record, make a bill of lading and show the Create Bill of Lading screen.
If the field value in QuickBooks Sales Order or Purchase Order or Invoice or Sales receipt or Estimate Number is longer than that of SmartBOL, information will be truncated. Address and Product description fields should be carefully reviewed.
- Item field in QuickBooks record is matched to Product Code in Product Profile to automatically populate the product details. Product profiles are maintained in Menu à Masters à Products screen.
- QuickBooks ship to name is matched with Consignee name in SmartBOL’s addresses. These profiles are listed in Menu à Masters à Addresses or Quick Menu à Addresses
- When importing more than one record, Ship To name and address from the first record is used.
- Line items without description will not be imported.
- If you have the carrier name in the Ship Via field in QuickBooks, it will be imported in the SCAC field on Bill of Lading screen. Ship Via field in QuickBooks record is matched to SCAC Code in Carrier Profile to automatically populate the Carrier Name. Carrier profiles are maintained in Menu à Masters à Carrier screen.
QuickBooks Multi-user Privileges Information:
Sales and Accounting Receivables: Full Access or Select Access (Any option)
Follow these steps if,
You are running QuickBooks 2002, 2003, 2004 and Canadian 2005
You don’t want to run QuickBooks in background while importing records
1. As an administrator, import a QuickBooks record into SmartBOL as explained earlier. This will set up SmartBOL access permissions.
2. Open QuickBooks in single user mode and login as administrator
3. Go to Menu à Edit à Preferences à Integrated Applications
4. Click on Company Preferences Tab
5. Select ADi SmartBOL Classic and click Properties
6. Select Access Rights tab
7. Click OK
8. When importing QuickBooks records into SmartBOL, QuickBooks must be in closed state or if running, an administrator must be logged in.
Importing Addresses/ Products from QuickBooks into SmartBOL
Main Menu | Data Import/ Export | Import Masters - Direct | Addresses
1. Import Type
· Select Import Type – Addresses ( to import address) or Products (to import Products)
· Overwrite Record with matching Address ID or Product Code: Check this box if you would like to overwrite Address or Product Records
2. Record Source
Please select the following option
· QuickBooks (Run QuickBooks in the background or enter company path):
To import Addresses, Select at least one address type. Click on Load Data, entire Address List will be imported in to SmartBOL. (Master | Addresses)
To import Products, Click on Load Data, entire Item List will be imported in to SmartBOL. (Master | Products)
Importing custom fields from QuickBooks into SmartBOL
Go to Quick Menu à Settings à Select Import Tab
Import & Export options
- CSV Delimiter
- Default Import: Select QuickBooks to import from QuickBooks
- After Importing: After importing a sales order / purchase order / invoice / Sales Receipt / Estimate record, select what would you like to do
1. Open create screen
2. Show preview
3. Do Nothing
- QB Other 1: You can map QuickBooks custom fields to one the SmartBOL field options provided in the drop down.
- QB Other 2: You can map QuickBooks custom fields to one the SmartBOL field options provided in the drop down.
- QB Custom 1: You can map QuickBooks custom fields to one the SmartBOL field options provided in the drop down.
- QB Custom 2: You can map QuickBooks custom fields to one the SmartBOL field options provided in the drop down.
- QB Custom 3: You can map QuickBooks custom fields to one the SmartBOL field options provided in the drop down.
- QB Custom 4: You can map QuickBooks custom fields to one the SmartBOL field options provided in the drop down.
- QB Custom 5: You can map QuickBooks custom fields to one the SmartBOL field options provided in the drop down.